- Urban design
Leanne is the managing director of Hodyl + Co, a design and planning consultancy focused on creating cities people love. She has 20 years experience delivering urban policy and urban design projects critical to the future development of cities. This includes:
- leading housing policy reform
- built-form frameworks for high-density urban environments
- arts strategies
- urban intensification strategies
- master plans for urban renewal areas
- infrastructure planning projects
She has qualifications in urban design, architecture and social theory. Leanne has extensive experience in strategic planning. Integrating all these essential elements of urban design and planning practice she has a demonstrable track record in delivering successful urban policy and public realm projects.
Leanne’s work is focused on complex urban environments. She has:
- recently led the Urban Design Strategy for Fishermans Bend (Australia’s largest urban renewal area)
- authored the Central City Built Form Review Synthesis Report which led to transformative change in urban policy for Melbourne’s CBD and Southbank
Before starting Hodyl + Co she led the City of Melbourne's Urban Strategy team. The team were responsible for delivering major urban design and strategic planning projects in the central city.
In 2015 Leanne was awarded the President's Award by the Planning Institute of Australia (Victorian division) for her Churchill Fellowship report 'Investigating planning policies in hyper-dense, high-rise living environments'. This was pivotal in shifting policy around high-density design in central Melbourne. She is a senior industry Fellow with RMIT’s Schools of Global, Urban and Social Studies.