We advise and advocate for quality in all types of public spaces and buildings.
The best design outcomes involve our advice in the early stages of a project. Some of the services we offer include:
- sharing our knowledge of exemplary benchmarks that can help inform a business case
- communicating the requirements for design quality that informs a design brief
- providing perspective on governance and planning frameworks that appropriately balances public benefit with competing interest
- assisting with design consultant procurement, using our industry and client-side experience
- reviewing the work of design consultants to ensure quality design standards are upheld
- reviewing building delivery procurement processes so that quality outcomes can be achieved under different contractual conditions
- conducting post occupancy evaluations on built outcomes to inform future projects.
We engage with government project teams in diverse ways, including:
- formal design review of projects via the Victorian Design Review Panel (VDRP) model
- dedicated design review embedded within government project teams
- less structured desktop review of projects - usually with focus on a particular document or drawing set
- contributing advice into reports formatted by other government departments.
You can see us advocating for design in a variety of ways. Some of these include:
- design competitions
- demonstration projects
- design awards
- research working groups
- publications describing how to achieve good design
- speaking engagements at public, industry and educational design events.